I’ll be honest with you, I’ve been listening to Christmas music since Election Day. I’m not the type of person that can wait until Thanksgiving to begin the Christmas festivities. It’s only halfway through November and my tree is up, my wreath and garland are up, and 3/4 of my Christmas shopping is done.
The first Christmas thing that ever happens in our house is the Christmas music. Before we bust out the movies or any decorations, you can hear Christmas music throughout our house. When it comes to Christmas music, people can be pretty picky. For instance, a lot of people don’t like original Christmas songs – they prefer the tried and true classics over and over again. Whenever an artist comes out with their own album, it’s always met with either immense joy at their rendition or a critical ear at any changes they made to the usual cadence of a song.
I won’t be so arrogant to say that listed here are the best versions of each of these songs. In fact, I’m sure some of these renditions you won’t like at all. They’re just my favorite versions of these songs, and each one brings feelings of the season for me. Not all of them are done by the original artist, though some are.
I feel like you can tell a lot about a person by their musical tastes. Therefore, I present to you my ultimate Christmas playlist. Here is a link to the Spotify playlist.
Traditional Christmas Songs
- “Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas” by Frank Sinatra
- “Blue Christmas” by Elvis Presley
- “The Christmas Song” by Nat King Cole
- “12 Days of Christmas” by Straight No Chaser
- “Rockin’ Around the Christmas tree by Brenda Lee
- “Jingle Bell Rock” by Bobby Helms
- “God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen” by The Barenaked Ladies
- “A Holly Jolly Christmas” by Burl Ives
- “O Holy Night” by Pentatonix
- “The First Noel” by Leslie Odom Jr.
- “Christmastime is Here (Vocal)” by Vince Guaraldi Trio
- “O Tannenbaum” by Vince Guaraldi Trio
- “It’s the Most Wonderful Time of the Year” by Andy Williams
- “Santa Baby” by Earth Kitt
- “Carol of the Bells” by Mannheim Steamroller
- “Let it Snow! Let it Snow! Let it Snow!” by Dean Martin
- “Silver Bells” by Dean Martin
- “Silent Night/Away in a Manger” by Relient K (it leads into “I Celebrate the Day,” listed below)
- “I Celebrate the Day” by Relient K
- “Merry Christmas, Happy Holidays” by *NSYNC
- “All I Want for Christmas is You” by Mariah Carey
- “Little Saint Nick” by The Beach Boys
- “Let it Be Christmas” by Alan Jackson
- “Believe” by Josh Groban
- “My Grown Up Christmas List” by Pentatonix feat. Kelly Clarkson
- “Where Are You Christmas?” by Faith Hill
Obviously, this isn’t an exhaustive list of every Christmas song, just the ones you’ll find most consistently playing throughout my house.
What do you think? What favorite songs of yours did I miss? Are your favorite versions different than mine?
Featured Image Photo Credit: NDTV.com